Materials for class on Wednesday, November 29, 2017
Video from class
- “Knowing How to Tell a Good Story Is Like Having Mind Control,” Alan Alda at Big Think, 2017-07-18
Mini project: Dickensian social safety net and mental health facilities
Using Ancestry.com’s 1861 workhouse inmate data, create a one-page handout that would accompany a hypothetical presentation about mental health facilities in Victorian England. You can see full details of the dataset (as well as the code to generate the figures) at the page for Class 5.
Download these files to get started:
- A Christmas Carol, Stave IText from Project Gutenberg
- Graph of reasons for being in the poor house
- Graph of types of mental diseases
- Workhouse inmates, 1861Data from Ancestry.com, England and Wales, Long-Term Workhouse Inmates, 1861, Lehi, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2017. Original data: Long-Term Workhouse Inmates, 1861, Peter Higginbotham, workhouses.org.uk.
Feedback for today
Go to this form and answer these three questions (anonymously if you want):
- What new thing did you learn today?
- What was the most unclear thing about today’s class?
- What was the most exciting thing you learned today?