Truth, Beauty, and Stories
Readings due before class on Wednesday, October 25, 2017
- Ben Wellington, “Making data mean more through storytelling”
- Jonathan Schwabish, “Better Data Communication”, National Bureau of Economic Research
- Adam Kanouse, “The Story in Data Storytelling”
- Data Storytelling: The Essential Data Science Skill Everyone NeedsMake sure you read both pages.
- Do You Have Mysterious Dragons in Your Research?
- Summary of CRAP graphic design principles from Garr Reynolds, Presentation ZenGarr Reynolds, Presentation Zen: Simple Ideas on Presentation Design and Delivery, 1st ed. (Berkeley, California: New Riders, 2008).
- President Dieter F. Uchtdorf’s 2013 CES devotional “What is Truth?.”Dieter F. Uchtdorf, “What Is Truth?” BYU Speeches of the Year, 2012–13, January 13, 2013, https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/dieter-f-uchtdorf_what-is-truth/.
- If you have access to Robin Williams, The Non-Designer’s Design Book, read through chapters 2–5Robin Williams, The Non-Designer’s Design & Type Books: Design and Typographic Principles for the Visual Novice, Deluxe Edition (Berkeley, California: Peachpit Press, 2008).
Questions to reflect on
- Why do people like stories?
- What makes a good story? What makes a bad story?
- What is the role of stories in presenting analysis?